Learning to quit smoking is always difficult, and with so much nicotine replacement therapies out there it can be difficult to know what is what and how to do it!
We have put together this quick guide to take you through all you need to know about Velo Pouches. Understanding what these are and how to use them should help you get back on track and give up smoking for good.
In a rush? Here is the short version of this article.
To use a Velo pouch:
- Take one out of the tin or packet.
- Carefully place the pouch, so it is secure between your gum and lip.
- Wait for the nicotine to be released from the pouch.
- Softly chew the pouch a few times to help get all the remnants of nicotine out of the pouch.
- Return the pouch between your gum and lip.
- Leave the pouch there for over 5 minutes but under 60 minutes.
- Dispose of the pouch after you are done with it – do not swallow the pouch.
What Is Velo?
Velo is one of the most popular brands of nicotine products available at the moment. Their products – including the oral nicotine pouches – are designed to help both current and former smokers.
For current smokers, the pouches will help prevent nicotine withdrawal and the unpleasant symptoms that come with it. The craving for nicotine is one of the most common reasons why people go back to smoking – using these pouches should help combat this urge.
For people who have already given up smoking, you can use these pouches to help reduce the likelihood of you picking up the unhealthy habit again.
Got a craving for a cigarette but haven’t had one for a while? Don’t jump off the bandwagon – take a nicotine pouch to satisfy your urge!
Keep in mind that people who have never smoked will not need Velo pouches or any nicotine product. If you have never smoked you will not have any nicotine cravings or nicotine addiction so why start now?
Using Velo Pouches
Fortunately, using Velo pouches is quick and easy. We recommend that you keep a couple of packs around your house office, or car. This means that you are never more than a few seconds away from getting a boost of nicotine. Hopefully, this is enough to help you kick that smoking habit for good!
- Firstly, you need to take a pouch out of the tin or packet that they came in. It may be a good idea to have a couple of packs stashed around your home or car.
Always having pouches to hand will reduce the likelihood of you choosing a cigarette instead.
- Carefully put the pouch between your gum and lip. This can be your upper or lower jaw. It may take some practice before you are sure that it won’t slip out, you may also find that it takes a few tries before you are used to the sensation of holding the pouch in place.
- Once you are happy with the placement of the pouch, leave it alone for a moment. You should feel a warm or tingling sensation in your gum.
This is nothing to be alarmed about and is just the nicotine leaving the pouch and being absorbed by your gum or lip. Because of the high concentration of blood vessels in your mouth, nicotine delivery will be quick.
- You can gently chew the patch a few times to help make sure that all the remnants of nicotine have left the pouch. Be sure to be gentle – it may help to think of this as squeezing the pouch with your teeth rather than chewing.
- Put the pouch back so that it is set between your lip and gum again. You now need to leave it in place for a while. This should be a minimum of 5 minutes but no more than 60.
- After your preferred time has passed, you need to dispose of the pouch responsibly. This means you need to put it in a bin. Do not swallow the pouch! They are not designed to be ingested.
How Often Do I Need To Use A Velo Pouch?
Keeping your nicotine cravings satisfied can be tricky, especially when you are in the early stages of giving up. You are more likely to succeed in giving up smoking for good if your nicotine craving never gets to a high or very noticeable level.
This means that you should use nicotine replacement products fairly regularly, no matter how many cigarettes you smoked per day.
We recommend that you use a pouch every hour or so, or whenever you have the urge to have a cigarette. If you prefer to leave the pouch in for 60 minutes at a time, you should not use more than one per hour.
Using the pouches at this rate will mean that a typical pack will last you around 2 days. Remember – keeping your nicotine craving under control will maximize your chances of success!
What Strength Of Velo Pouch Do I Need?
Knowing what strength of Velo you need is more challenging than knowing how to use them! Follow these guidelines to help you find your ideal nicotine content to get the most out of these products.
Keep in mind that you may need to do some experimenting to find out what works best for you, your lifestyle, and your nicotine cravings.
Velo pouches are available in two strengths – 4 mg and 6 mg. These strengths refer to the amount of nicotine in each pouch. A 4 mg strength pouch has 4 mg of nicotine in it, a 6 mg is a little stronger.
If you are a heavy smoker, we recommend that you start with the higher dosage pouch. This will help keep your nicotine craving under control at all times. You should always remember that if this dose feels too strong you can start using the lower strength.
A light smoker – someone who smokes less than 20 cigarettes a day – should find the 4 mg strength pouch more than enough to satisfy their cravings. You can always scale up the dose if you find this inadequate.
Are There Any Side Effects?
As with all oral nicotine products, there are some possible side effects.
You may find that you develop a sore mouth using Velo pouches. You may also notice that you are developing hiccups much more regularly.
If you use too many pouches in a day, you may develop slightly more serious side effects. A feeling of sickness or nausea has been reported by those who have used too many Velo pouches. Others have reported an upset stomach.
That said, remember that Velo pouches are infinitely healthier than smoking. Any combustible tobacco product will have a serious impact on your health.
As you can see, the potential side effects of Velo pouches are not as serious as other anti-smoking aids. If you ever do feel uncomfortable as a result of the pouches do not hesitate to seek medical attention or advice.
Here are some quick tips to make sure that you stay safe while using Velo pouches.
First, do not share a used pouch with anyone. This is a surefire way to spread germs, and you are likely to develop complications like ulcers. It is unhygienic!
In a similar vein, do not use a pouch that has already been discarded. You are unlikely to get any nicotine benefit from doing this, and it has all the associated risks of sharing pouches. Don’t do it!
Be sure to dispose of the pouches properly. Put used pouches in a bin to help protect the environment. They are not designed to be flushed – protect your sewer systems too!
You are not meant to swallow these pouches. If you do, seek medical attention immediately.
Quitting smoking is never easy. Fortunately, there are some good products out there to help you give up for good.
Velo pouches deliver nicotine to your body quickly and easily. You even have different nicotine content dosages to choose from – everyone has different nicotine levels that need to be satisfied!
Just pop a pouch into your mouth and hold it with your lip next to your gum. Wait a few moments for the nicotine to leave the pouch and be absorbed in your mouth.
Your nicotine craving has now been satisfied with no need for a cigarette!